Stegmaier Brewery was the largest
brewery among numerous breweries in the Wyoming Valley. At one time the
firm was one of the largest independent breweries in the United States.
Between 1910 and 1913 when American breweries were sending their beers
to be judged in European expositions, Stegmaier Beer swept the field by
winning eight Gold Medal awards in every major exposition, including those
in Brussels, Paris, and Rome. The brewery grew from a five-employee operation
in 1857 to a high of 300 employees in 1971, then ceased operations in 1972.
The architectural character of the brewery was established by the Romanesque
style of the oldest extant building in the complex, the Brew House Building.
Constructed in 1894 and designed by architect A. C. Wagner, its Romanesque
influenced industrial style was recreated throughout the complex, influencing
the late 19th-century industrial appearance of the other buildings constructed
by the First World War. When listed in the National Register in 1979, six
buildings remained of the original brewery complex. The complex has been
recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey. In 1995, Bowens, a
local architecture firm, performed a prospective-use feasibility study,
and found the building worthy of renovation. The building was redeveloped
into 70,000 square feet of office space, along with a 60,000 square foot
addition. By November 1997, Congressman Kanjorski and five Federal agencies
had leasing agreements and moved into a beautiful, newly renovated Stegmaier
Entryway to the Stegmaier Brewery
Photograph by Sue Pridemore
The Stegmaier Building is located at 7 North Wilkes-Barre Blvd.,
Wilkes-Barre. The building is now used as government offices,
is not open to the public.